Mother and Child – Dairy’s inherent Despair
It’s often thought that these pose no reason for concern as they are obtained ‘naturally’ and ‘without harm’, that a cow ‘gives her milk’ easily and willingly, and that the horrors of other farming and slaughter methods don’t apply.
However, cows are mammals, and basic biology of course requires a cow to be impregnated and give birth to a calf for her milk production to kick in.
The calves are usually removed within mere hours of birth, causing trauma to both the mothers and the calves, which is why I have called this post “dairy’s inherent despair”.
MC Pony’s new single “Mother and Child” depicts this moving story of a mother cow giving birth to – and then being separated from – her newborn calf.
The co-writer, James Donnelly, also features in the choruses with his acoustic duo partner Naomi Crain, as “James and Naomi“.
- Artwork, including that used for the single cover art: Adrianna Mammino
- Photographs: Tamara Kenneally
- Footage courtesy of SAFE, Farmwatch, and Edgar’s Mission
- Graphic design – cover art and event poster: Naomi Crain
- Thumbnail – Kirsten Lajeunesse
- Video editing by Mane Collective
And for the single itself:
- Mother and Child – MC Pony featuring James and Naomi
- Written by James Donnelly and Elizabeth Usher
- Programming, bass and guitar – James Donnelly
- Produced by James Donnelly and Elizabeth Usher
- Mastering by Kathy Naunton, dB Mastering
The first chance to hear this song live in Sydney is coming up on Saturday 22nd April at a special fundraiser for Animal Liberation NSW. See https://giantdwarf.com.au/events/animal-liberation/ for more details and tickets to this one night festival event – including vegan dairy options such as cheeses and chocolates to sample and buy!
There is also the Facebook event page – please spread the word!
Date: Saturday 22nd April 2017 (three weeks before Mother’s Day!)
Time: 6pm – 10.30pm, show runs 7pm – 10pm with an intermission
Event name: Dairy Truths & Music for the Animal Liberation movement
Venue: Giant Dwarf, 199 Cleveland St, Redfern
Tickets: Advance purchase: $10 concession, $20 full price (on the night: $15/$25)
The “Mother and Child” single will be available to purchase after the launch event, through digital music stores including CD Baby, iTunes, and Google Play – see veganthused.com/motherandchild for all the details!
And above all remember: with oh so many vegan dairy options to choose from and delight in, there is no need to partake of the products of despair!
who is MC Pony?
© 2023 Veganthused
Website by DesignVoodoo.com